After and , there was not much stopping Newton North's Carla Forbes at the New Balance Indoor Nationals last weekend.
Forbes, a junior, placed first in the girls triple jump. She and several other Newton North athletes ran with the Waltham Track Club during the national meet in New York City.
In addition to her national title for triple jump, Forbes placed fifth in the girls long jump.
The Newton North boys' indoor track runners (who ran as the Newton Tigers Track Club) placed third in the boys 4x200 meter relay at the National event. The runners included junior Ryan Lucken, senior Nate Menninger, junior Daniel Swain, senior Orion Wagner and senior Shawn Seamans.
The Newton South girls' team (who ran as Newton Centre Track Club) placed 11th in the girls 1600 sprint medley. The runners included sophomore Kyra Visnick, sophomore Alekhya Chaparala, senior Mary Testa, senior Hannah Friedman, and sophomore Elizabeth Fineman.
Some other Newton highlights from the national meet include:
- Newton North senior Swardic Mayanja placed fourth in the boys shot put.
- Newton South runners, who ran under the Norton Endurance Track Club, placed 16th in the 4x400 meter relay. The runners included senior Andrew O'Hagan, senior Cary Potochnik, senior Brooks Remy, junior Marini Lopci and junior Joe Hickey.
- Newton North senior Justin Keefe placed 19th in the boys 800 meter run emerging elite event.
- Newton North runners (who ran as the Newton Tigers) placed 14th in the boys 1600 sprint medley. The runners included junior Ryan Lucken, senior Nate Menninger, junior Daniel Swain, senior Justin Keefe and senior Shawn Seamans.
- Newton South runners (who ran as Newton Centre team) placed 32 in the girls 4x1 meter relay. The runners included sophomore Lucrecia Aguilar, sophomore Alekhya Chaparala, junior Emily Caggiano, sophomore Anna Rhatigan and senior Anna Laurence.
- Newton North junior Carl Whitham placed ninth in the boys shot put emerging elite event.
- Newton North senior Young Guang placed 11th in the boys shot put emerging elite event.
- Newton North sophomore Ryan Kimp placed 16th in the boys shot put emerging elite event.
- Newton North runners Kayla Wong, Steph Brown, Kayla Prior and Carla Forbes placed 10th in the girls 4x55 meter shuttle hurdle event.
- Newton North senior Steph Brown also placed 21st in the girls pole vault emerging elite event.
Results and information provided by the National Scholastic Sports Foundation.