Some of the best junior golfers in Massachusetts will be at the Blue Hill Country Club in Canton, today and Tuesday, for Golfweek New England Junior Invitational.
Since 2001, Golfweek Magazine has conducted national junior invitational events which have attracted many of the elite junior players in the country, many who would go on to compete on the PGA and LPGA Tours. The New England Junior Invitational marks the third event in the series, to go along with the East Coast Junior Invitational played annually in Orlando, Fla., and the West Coast Junior Invitational played annually in the Phoenix, Ariz. area. The tournament will start at 8:30 a.m. Monday, July 31, followed by the second round on Tuesday, July 31. There will be two 18-hole rounds on Monday and one 18 Tuesday.
The event will take place over 54 holes with national rankings and AJGA performance stars at stake. Players were invited to the event based on their national rankings or gained special invitations through performance on regional junior tours.
A field of 102 golfers, consisting of players from seven New England states, Illinois, Michigan, Florida and Ontario, will be on hand to compete for bragging rights in this college-style tournament. The event will take place over 54 holes with national rankings and AJGA performance stars at stake.
The event is open to the public.
Blue Hill Country Club is a member-owned private country club with 27 holes of championship golf. The main course was designed in 1925 by Eugene "Skip" Wogan, one of golf’s premier architects of the Classic Period. In 1961, Mr. Wogan’s son, Phil Wogan, provided the design for the club’s 9-hole Challenger Course.
Also competing in the tournament are:
- Acton: Patrick Christmas, Jamie Wang,
- Arlington: Harry Michael Theodore
- Belmont: Andrew Lilley
- Brookline: Jack Corcoran,
- Canton: Sam Riemer,
- Concord: Drew Bernshoftz
- Dover: Andrew Chole and Nicholas DePetrillo
- Glouchester: James Turner.
- Hingham: Matthew Michaud, Ashley Hopkins, Pat Jenkins
- Lexington: Jackson Long
- Manchester: Benjamin Bichel
- Medfield: Dan Neidemire
- Milton: Patrick O'Leary, Regan Simeone, Lucas Hicks, Matthew and Kevin Walsh,
- Natick: Kevin McInerney
- Needham: Jake Shulman
- Newton: Alejandro Soto, Vinh-Hop Ngro, Vinh Hoa Ngro, Chad Stumpo and Monica Chow
- Reading: Andrew Young
- Sharon: Isabel Southard, Angela Zhang
- Shrewsbury: Julia Ford, Matthew Iczkowaki, Edward Black,
- Walpole: Kevin Walsh
- Wellesley: Charlie Hitch
- Westboro: Nicholas Ross
- Weston: Marwa Kallak, Marshall Clemens, Noah Cate
- Westwood: John Lazor, Adam Sawyer,