After shutting down Maine in the top of the first inning, Newton came to the plate in the home half of the frame and put Dante Taylor on first base when the ball got away from the catcher, according to a play-by-play account of the contest.
Brandon Lee reached on a fielder's choice before Zeke O'Connell scampered to first base on an error that allowed Lee to cross home plate for the first run of the game on Saturday morning.
That lead, however, didn't hold up as Maine scored three times each in the second and third innings, tacked on a run in the fifth and poured home five in the sixth to cruise to a 12-1 victory.
SouthEast is now 0-1 in pool play while the victory improved Saco to 1-1 after a Friday loss.
Newton hopes to quickly put Saturday's game behind it, with the team's next game schedule for Sunday at 2 p.m. It won't be an easy task, however, as the team's foe, Lincoln, R.I., thumped Saco on Friday in the tournament's opener.
Be sure to check back with Newton Patch over the weekend for updates on the team’s games. For more coverage on the team, click on the links below:
- Regionals a 'Once in a Lifetime' Experience for Newton SouthEast
- Newton's Little Big Leaguers Win the Big One
- Meet the Champs: Newton SouthEast Players, Coaches Introduce Themselves
- Road to Bristol Has Been a Magical One for Newton SouthEast
- Trip to Regionals Means Games, Fun and Expenses for Newton's Little Leaguers
- And the State Champs Have Left the City
- When Are the Newton SouthEast Little League Games?
- Good Luck to the State Champs
- Newton Little Leaguers Going Where Few Have Gone Before