Thursday, May 2, 2013
The fire broke out on North Street Wednesday, May 1.
A fire sparked by a contractor's soldering torch caused approximately $50,000 in damage at a North Street home yesterday. Newton Fire crews responded to the scene around 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, May 1 after a neighbor reported the fire, according to a press release from the Newton Fire Department. The fire, which broke out in the attic of 59 North St., started when a contractor was soldering two sections of a copper gutter together, the press release said. Two dozen firefighters used multiple ladder trucks to reach the fire and managed to contain the flames to just the attic area in the corner of the house. No one was injured during the fire, the press release said. After opening up part of the roof and third floor ceiling to check if the …
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
One resident was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Updated 9:24 a.m.: An accidental cooking fire caused approximately $40,000 in damages to a Lexington Street apartment Monday night. Newton firefighters responded to 181 Lexington St. Monday afternoon at 4:45 p.m. for reports of a fire in a basement studio apartment, according to a press release from the Newton Fire Department. When crews arrived on scene five minutes later, they found smoke throughout the three-story brick apartment building. Firefighters with Engine 2 were able to contain the fire to just the single studio apartment, the press release said. According to scanner reports, the fire was knocked down just before 5 p.m. Crews and investigators were cleared of the scene by 6:15 p.m. The resident of the studio unit was …
Friday, March 15, 2013
The fire broke out at a Hale Street home Thursday evening.
Newton firefighters made quick work of a porch fire Thursday evening in Newton Upper Falls. Crews received a call just after 5:30 p.m. Thursday from a resident at 42 Hale St. who reported smelling smoke in the building. Engine 7 and Ladder 2 arrived on scene four minutes later to find a fire in the second floor walls of an enclosed, three-story porch, according to a press release from the Newton Fire Department. Firefighters opened the interior walls of the porch on both the second and third floors to find and extinguish the fire before it reached the attic, the press release said. There were no injuries reported and residents were able to stay in the home, as the fire was contained to the exterior porch. Fire investigators have …
Monday, March 11, 2013
The Newton Fire Department responded to the fire just before 7 p.m. Sunday night.
A fire sparked by a gas stove caused approximately $125,000 in damage to an Oakdale Road home Sunday night, according to the Newton Fire Department. The Newton Fire Department received a call just before 7 p.m. Sunday from the homeowner reporting a kitchen fire at 143 Oakdale Road. Firefighters were on scene within four minutes and found the kitchen in the back of the home "consumed by fire," the Fire Department said in a press release. According to reports, crews had the blaze under control within 20 minutes, but stayed on scene until almost 8:30 p.m. to overhaul the ceilings and walls, check for extension to other rooms and ventilate the house. No one was injured in the fire, the press release said. Looking for more Newton police/fire …
Tuesday, March 5, 2013
The Newton Fire Department responded to the fire around 8:15 p.m. Monday.
Two residents were displaced last night after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a Clarendon Street home in Newtonville, the Newton Fire Department reported Tuesday morning. Newton firefighters were called to 30 Clarendon St. Monday night at 8:16 p.m. after a passerby reported a home filled with smoke. When crews arrived on scene, they found a fire in the kitchen, according to a press release from the Newton Fire Department. No one was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported, the press release said. Scanner reports from Monday night indicate the fire was knocked down within a half hour of crews arriving on scene. However, the Fire Department press release said the kitchen was fully engulfed in fire, requiring "extensive…
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
The Newton Fire Department released more details on the fire that broke out Monday morning at a Freeman Street home.
A fire that broke out in the kitchen of an Auburndale home Monday morning caused an estimated $150,000 in damages, according to a press release issued Tuesday by the Newton Fire Department. The fire at 64 Freeman St. was first spotted by a passerby who notified a Newton Police officer working a traffic detail nearby. The fire was called in at 11:23 a.m. and Engine 2 and Ladder 1 were on scene in four minutes, the press release said. When firefighters arrived on scene, they found the two-story Cape home completely filled with smoke. They forced open the front door and found the fire in the kitchen on the first floor. Deputy Chief James Thorne struck a second alarm for the fire at 11:38 a.m. for additional manpower and equipment, the press…
Friday, September 21, 2012
Crews have knocked down the fire, reports said.
Updated 11:30 a.m. Newton Fire crews quickly knocked down a fire at 60 Brooks Ave. earlier this morning. There was little visible damage on the exterior of the house, which was a two-story wood frame home. It appeared as though the fire started in the back of the home. According to scanner reports, the fire was called in around 9 a.m. and knocked down by 9:12 a.m. The fire was reportedly in the kitchen. By 10 a.m., crews appeared to be cleaning up around the scene and the windows were opened to ventilate the house. More information on the cause of the fire was not immediately available. Stay tuned to Patch for more details. Posted earlier: Newton Fire Department crews quickly extinguished a fire this morning at a two-story wood frame …
Saturday, August 25, 2012
Fire department knocks down a house hire reported at about 7:45 p.m. Saturday on Auburn Street.
Update Thurs., Aug. 30 3:30 p.m. According to Newton Fire Deputy Chief Mike Castro, the Aug. 25 fire on Auburn Street was the result of "spontaneous combustion due to rags that were disposed of in a barrel" next to the house. Castro said the rags were soaked in "finishing liquid" used on the home's back deck. The fire has been ruled as accidental, Castro said, and the estimated cost of damage to the house was around $50,000. Mon., Aug. 27 11:50 a.m. - Newton Patch has reached out to the Fire Department for more details on the cause of the fire and will update the story as more information becomes available. Posted earlier: No one was home at a two-family house in Auburndale when it caught fire Saturday night. Firefighters responded to …
Sunday, February 19, 2012
The fire started in the chimney and damaged the mantle inside the home.
Newton Firefighters put out the flames of a chimney fire before it spread to other parts of the home at 139 Woodward St. Sunday morning. The blaze began in the fire place, where residents had started a fire, said Deputy Fire Chief James Thorne. The residents were home and called 911 just before noon, allowing firefighters to knock down the fire quickly. "It extended into the mantle," Thorne said. "It was starting to get into the walls. We caught it just in time." No one was injured in the fire.
Sunday, January 8, 2012
Two victims in injured when their vehicle struck a tree.
Authorities are responding to the scene of car crashing into a tree on Quinabiquin Road in Newton. According to Patch correspondent Matthew Carter, two victims were inside the vehicle and one was unconcious when first responders arrived. One victim is being taken to Beth-Israel Deaconness Hospital in Boston, according to scanner reports. The other victim is being taken to Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Newton, according to Carter. Check Newton Patch for updates to this story.